Highlands and Islands MSP Donald Cameron has said that he is not surprised that the A82 trunk road, which links Glasgow and Inverness, via Fort William, has been confirmed as Scotland’s deadliest road.
A Freedom of Information request has revealed that 73 serious or fatal accidents took place between January 2017 and Summer 2019 on the road.
Mr Cameron said: “Unfortunately, I am not at all surprised by these very sad statistics.
“All of us who regularly travel along the A82 know this is a route which badly needs investment, as does so much of the transport infrastructure across Argyll and Lochaber".
The top ten roads in Scotland, by the number of serious or fatal accidents, were revealed as:
- A82 (Glasgow to Inverness via Fort William) – 73
- A9 (Falkirk to Thurso) – 69
- A90 (Edinburgh to Fraserburgh via Dundee and Aberdeen) – 59
- A77 (Glasgow to Portpatrick) – 40
- A96 (Aberdeen to Inverness) – 39
- M8 (Edinburgh to Glasgow) – 35
- M74 (A74(M)) (Gretna to Glasgow) – 35
- A85 (Perth to Oban)– 33
- A92 (Dunfermline to Aberdeen) – 33
- A83 (Argyll) – 28
Credit to Herald Scotland for data